About Amagerport Milestone
All photos (11)
This is the Amagerport Milestone. It was placed here in 1920 after the city gates where taken down in 1857. From here, the distances to cities outside of Copenhagen, from this gate, was measured. Copenhagen used to have four main gates which were the only ways to get through the fortification ring around the city. This location is where the only south entrance to Copenhagen was until 1857. When it was dismantled, a memorial plaque and Distance Marker was placed on each side of the road. The milestone here shows the distance from the gate to larger cities in Denmark.